Sunday 16 June 2013

10 Mile Time Trial

As part of my training, I'm planning on doing some time trialling over the summer. I've never really done any proper stand-alone time trials, although I do them each time I compete in a triathlon.

Congleton CC were the organisers of my first 10 mile TT last night on the JC/5 course. There was a big mix of people there, from the serious guys in skin suits with dedicated TT bikes and disk wheels to the more 'normal' looking cyclists on well-ridden road bikes. I fit in somewhere between these extremes, with my TT bike and aero helmet but with slightly baggy jersey and water bottle.

After a traffic-filled drive out to the A536 between Congleton and Macclesfield, I signed on and ended up starting 2nd-to-last. A short warm-up later and I was ready to give this undulating course a shot. It is mainly an out and back course, but finishes a little way down a side road avoiding the last section back to the start line. Setting off on the outbound section, I settled into a comfortable rhythm. The first half was undulating but overall mainly downhill and I got passed by the one competitor who started behind me. I kept him in sight as we got to the turnaround point.

The second half of the race was mostly uphill and evidently my climbing skills are better than those of the cyclist who passed me as I overtook him in the first section after the turn. However, due to the undulations, we managed to play leapfrog most of the way back to the finish. He ended up finishing just ahead of me but we had a good battle.

My time was 27:12 which put me 28th out of 36. I now have a time to aim for in my next TT!


No comments:

Post a Comment