Tuesday 18 June 2013

Training and racing update 18/6/13

Today I needed a little break in training. I still did the usual early morning swim with Manchester Triathlon Club but it was tough especially after the 25km run last night. I've been feeling tired in work for the past couple of days so I opted not to do the time trial this evening, an easy hour on the bike was plenty.

Aquathlon - 800m swim, 5km run

Last week I finally managed to get to an open water swim session. Thursday night was the 2nd in the Manchester Tri Club aquathlon series and Anna came to my rescue with a wetsuit on loan as I left mine with my Dad to transport back from Belfort. The water wasn't half as cold as I was expecting. Either it's warmed up a lot in the last couple of weeks or everyone here is a bit soft! The swim was great, I was really enjoying it, trying to hold on to the back of a small group. We got into transition together, but I'm pretty sure I was last out as the wetsuit arm got caught on my watch as I was taking it off.

My plan was to start the first of 4 run laps at ironman pace and gradually build the speed on each lap. It was difficult to go slow enough on fairly fresh legs and with so many people passing me out, but I had to be disciplined. I have found recently that I tend to start off too fast and struggle to keep up the pace. The runners 'negative split' is not well known to me. I ended up sprinting the last lap and felt good the whole way. 5km is a quite different to 42km but hopefully I can take this feeling with me to the IM marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment